Agenda and minutes

Housing Management Advisory Board - Wednesday, 27th March, 2019 4.30 pm

Venue: Committee Room 1, at the Council Offices, Southfields, Loughborough. View directions

Items
No. Item

20.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 100 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 7th November 2018.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting of the Board held on 7th November 2018 were confirmed as an accurate record.

 

Matters arising from the minutes:

 

(i)            For the past two years the January meeting has been cancelled due to being inquorate. The Board discussed the reasons for this and what the best course of action should be. It was agreed that if possible the meeting should be re-arranged to a later date to ensure that no important agenda items are missed.

21.

Declarations of interest

All members will make a declaration at each meeting if they have an interest in any item of business on the agenda which would affect them more than tenants or residents of the ward(s) affected generally.

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

22.

Planned Maintenance Work Programme pdf icon PDF 78 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to update the Board on the programme of planned maintenance work to be carried out over the year.

 

Please note this report has been carried forward from the last meeting and remains the same.

 

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to update the Board on the progress of the 2018/19 planned maintenance programme was considered.

 

Discussion points raised:

 

(i)   The Board was given an update on progress of the work programme. The majority of the internal communal area refurbishment planned works at the Bell Foundry Estate had been completed. Unfortunately, a lot of the other proposed works have not been completed due to slow mobilisation from Fortem. It was acknowledged that some slippage had taken place and the Council had agreed to transfer funds to the following year’s budget of works.

 

(ii)  The Board highlighted the problems with the Fortem contract and cited a lack of management as a problem. They were advised that the Council did have a number of controls in place to monitor and evaluate the progress of the contract. There were also penalties in place for non-compliance which the Board were made aware of.

 

(iii) There was now an increase in some of the works planned for 2019/20 due to some tenants who had previously refused works changing their mind. The Board noted that non-response from tenants regarding works was an issue and were advised that an Apprentice post was being recruited to for a Customer Liaison Officer who would be tasked with engaging more with tenants.

 

RESOLVED that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

23.

Housing Repair Services - Breakdown of Complaints pdf icon PDF 80 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services detailing the breakdown on complaints for the service over the last six months.

 

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to consider the complaint trends for housing repairs and asset management was submitted to the Board for consideration.

 

Councillor Mercer, the Lead Member for Housing attended the meeting and commended the work of Landlord Services as the number of complaints had reduced and tenant satisfaction levels were high, although he did note that a larger number of responses was needed to ensure the statistics were truly representative.

 

RESOLVED that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

24.

Customer Engagement Strategy pdf icon PDF 89 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services providing the Board with the latest Customer Engagement Strategy for comment.

 

Please note this report has been carried forward from the last meeting and remains the same.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services providing the Board with an update on the delivery of the customer engagement strategy was considered.

 

The Landlord Services Manager advised the Board that the Council was hoping to engage some of the harder to reach groups such as younger tenants and tenants who worked. They acknowledged that the format of formal meetings was not always appealing, and the Council was working with the Charnwood Housing Residents Forum to work on new ways of involvement.

 

RESOLVED that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

25.

Void Properties pdf icon PDF 72 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services and the Head of Strategic and Private Sector Housing detailing the current situation regarding void properties.

 

Please note this report has been carried forward from the last meeting and remains the same.

 

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to provide an update to the Board on the current voids programme was considered.

 

Discussion points raised:

 

(i)   The Board was advised that there was a joint working group in place to monitor the void process. Officers from the Housing Allocations Team along with the Voids Team were working together to streamline the voids process from vacancy to re-let.

 

(ii)  There was a review taking place in respect of sheltered accommodation, and that any large capital sums required to undertake works would feature in a refreshed  Housing Revenue Account (HRA) business plan.  One of the expected outcomes from the review of sheltered housing would be a reduction in voids.

 

RESOLVED

 

1.    That the Head of Landlord Services provide the Board with a detailed breakdown of the types of void accommodation.

 

2.    That a review of the sheltered housing accommodation options be added to the Board’s work programme.

 

3.    that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

1.    To provide the Board with information requested.

 

2.    To ensure the Board are consulted on the report.

 

3.    To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

26.

Corporate Plan Review pdf icon PDF 81 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services presenting the Corporate Plan to the Board for comment and review.

 

Please note this report has been carried forward from the last meeting and remains the same.

 

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to consult the Board on the proposed key Landlord Services activities and performance indicators which will form part of the Council’s Business Plan for 2019/20 was considered.

 

The Head of Landlord Services provided the Board with the figures for the Business Plan:

 

“Invest in our housing stock through the delivery of (an estimated) 108 kitchens, 239 bathrooms, and 290 heating installations to provide high quality homes for Council tenants”.

 

RESOLVED that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

27.

Mobilisation of New Decent Homes Contract - Update pdf icon PDF 146 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to update the Board on the progress of the New Decent Homes Contract supplied by Fortem, as requested, including the disabled adaptations work programme.

 

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to provide information to the Board on the mobilisation of the new decent homes contract was considered.

 

Discussion points raised:

 

(i)            The performance of the contractor had improved in Q4 which was attributed to a new sub-contractor being employed who was better able to carry out the work required as well as the sub-contractor being monitored more closely this time. However Fortem was aware that they were performing below the expected standard and needed to make improvements quickly.

(ii)          The Board noted that the new kitchen recently installed at the Marios Tinetti Centre was of a high standard and was well received. The Lead Member for Housing also commented that he had received praise from residents for the work completed by Fortem, although he acknowledged the problems with timescales.

 

RESOLVED that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

28.

Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 65 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to advise the Board of their Terms of Reference for comment and amendment.

 

Please note this report has been carried forward from the last meeting and remains the same.

 

Minutes:

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to advise the Board of its terms of reference, for the Board to comment and make recommendations in respect of any necessary amendments.

 

The Board discussed several items which were added to the Board’s work programme. These included an update on the Council’s new scrutiny structure and the Tenancy Policy review.

 

RESOLVED that the report be noted.

 

Reason

 

To acknowledge the Board’s consideration of this matter.

29.

Questions from members of the board

In accordance with the Board’s decision members of the Board were asked in advance of this agenda being published whether they had any questions on matters within the remint of the Board that they wished to ask, for response at this meeting.

 

On this occasion no questions were submitted.

Minutes:

In accordance with the Board’s decision at its meeting on 22nd March 2017 (HMAB Minute 24.1), members of the Board had been asked in advance of the agenda being published whether they had any questions on matters within the remint of the Board that they wished to ask, for response at this meeting.

 

On this occasion no questions had been submitted.

30.

Work programme pdf icon PDF 63 KB

A report of the Head of Landlord Services to enable the Board to review and agree its Work Programme.

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Board received a report of the Head of Landlord Services to enable the Board to agree its Work Programme (item 12 on the agenda).

 

Members of the Board could identify matters that they considered required looking at over the next few meetings of the Board, including any already listed on the Work Programme but not yet scheduled. Officers present could provide advice as to whether items might be appropriately considered at the time proposed.

 

RESOLVED

 

1.            That an update be provided to the Board on the new Scrutiny structure and how HMAB will fit into the programme.

2.            That the revised Tenancy Policy be added to the Board’s work programme for their June meeting.

3.            That the Service Area Delivery Plan be removed from the work programme.

4.            That an update be provided to the Board on the revised Housing Allocations Policy.

5.            That the Housing Capital Programme Monitoring item be scheduled for the September meeting.

6.            That the Board’s Work Programme be updated to reflect all decisions made above and earlier in the meeting.

 

Reasons

 

1.    To inform the Board of the changes and how it might affect them.

2.    To allow the Board to consider the item and make comments as appropriate.

3.    It was no longer required by the Board.

4.    To allow the Board to update tenants on the changes to the Policy.

5.    To allow the Board to consider the item.

6.     To ensure that the information in the Work Programme is up to date.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


MEETING DATE/

FREQUENCY

ISSUE

INFORMATION REQUIRED/

INVITEES/

OFFICERS

NOTES

SCHEDULED:

 

 

 

Every meeting

Work programme

 

To review the Board’s work programme.

Every meeting

Questions from members of the Board

 

Questions on matters within the remit of the Board (if any), for response at the meeting.

 

Members will be asked in advance of the agenda being published for each meeting whether they have any such questions, for listing on the agenda.

Every meeting

Performance information  questions

 

See HMAB minute 14.4, 9th November 2016.

To enable the Board to ask questions, if any, on the performance information pack* sent out with the agenda for the meeting.

To be last item on agenda.

Every meeting

Performance information – update on universal credit and update on Fortem decent homes contract

 

 

Two updates to be included in the performance information pack.

 12th June 2019

 

Election of Chair and Vice-chair

 

Annual Item.

 12th June 2019

 

HRA Revenue and Capital Outturn (2017/18)

Head of Landlord Services

Annual Report.

12th June 2019

Presentation of the Council’s new Scrutiny structure

Head of Strategic Support

Added by the Board at it’s meeting on 27th March 2019.

11th September 2019

Disabled Adaptations Policy

Head of Landlord Services

Annual Report.

11th September 2019

Housing Repair Services – breakdown of complaints

Head of Landlord Services

As per six-monthly update reports considered by the Performance Scrutiny Panel.

 

Last submitted to Board 27th March 2019.

 

11th September 2019

Housing Capital Programme Monitoring

Head of Landlord Services

Last considered 16th October 2013.

6th November 2019  ...  view the full minutes text for item 30.