Venue: Committee Room 1, at the Council Offices, Southfields, Loughborough. View directions
Disclosures of Pecuniary and Personal Interests
No disclosures were made.
A report of the Head of Strategic Support is attached.
A report of the Head of Strategic Support was submitted regarding a review of the Chief Executive’s salary (item 3 on the agenda filed with these minutes).
The Director of HR and Cllr Development (S. Maher) and HR Manager (L. Butterfill) from East Midlands Council (EMC) attended to assist with the consideration of the report.
The following matters were discussed:
· the benefits of the proposed graded salary range, why it was higher than the current Chief Executive’s salary and the potential impact on other officers’ salaries.
· whether there were other salary options to mitigate the differences between the graded salary range pay points and also the current Chief Executive’s single pay point salary.
· the risk of continuing with a single pay point salary to the recruitment process and the Council as a whole.
· the additional costs of the proposed graded salary range including the on-costs of pension and NI, and how this could be met from the Council’s budget.
· whether using population size alone was effective to benchmark appropriate salary ranges for chief executives.
· the kind of candidate that the Council wished to attract by offering a competitive salary based on a graded salary range and how this could be used to incentivise performance.
· the PDR process for the new Chief Executive and how their performance would be assessed with respect to the proposed graded salary range, including the process for agreeing the salary at full Council.
1. That the current spot salary of £121,338 for any new appointment to the Chief Executive post be replaced with a graded salary range as follows, with annual progression being subject to satisfactory performance until the maximum grade point is reached:
Point 1: £125,000
Point 2: £130,000
Point 3: £135,000
Point 4: £140,000
2. That it be recommended to full Council for approval by way of an amendment to the Pay Policy Statement for 2019/20.
1. To consider the recommendations arising from a salary benchmarking review undertaken by East Midlands Councils in light of the ongoing recruitment process for a new Chief Executive to ensure the salary on offer is competitive and attractive to potential candidates.
2. To comply with the requirements of section 39 of the Localism Act 2011.