Venue: Committee Room 1, at the Council Offices, Southfields, Loughborough. View directions
Disclosures of Pecuniary and Personal Interests
No disclosures were made.
A report of the Head of Strategic Support is to follow.
A report of the Head of Strategic Support was submitted to establish a Panel of Members for the appointment of the Head of Paid Service (Chief Executive), (item 3 on the agenda filed with these minutes).
In response to questions the Chair and Head of Strategic Support stated that:
· East Midlands Councils (EMC) HR would provide specialist training as part of their service to ensure the Panel understood the process and the requirements of the role.
· the report recommending the appointment of the Head of Paid Service to full Council would include a biography of the chosen candidate and how they met the requirements for the post.
· sharing the role with another council, interim appointments and fixed term contracts could be considered, but it was important to appoint the most appropriate person for the Borough Council’s requirements
· the EMC HR Service would create a longlist of candidates and complete the shortlisting for the Panel’s consideration and would ensure the Panel understood and agreed with the rationale for shortlisting candidates.
· the time scale was ambitious with the aim of completing the recruitment process before the summer holiday period, and to allow for any possible notice period for the successful candidate to leave their current employment.
· it would be important to arrange a Personal Development Review promptly after the successful candidate commenced employment: the Personnel Committee would be required to appoint a Panel to undertake this and training prior to the meeting would be arranged.
It was noted that an additional Personnel Committee would be required to consider the salary range of the Head of Paid Service post as the EMC HR Service had advised a review was required to ensure the salary package was competitive.
1. that the following politically balanced Panel comprising 5 councillors be
established to make recommendations to full Council on the appointment of a new Head of Paid Service:
· Cllr Jonathan Morgan (Conservative)
· Cllr Tom Barkley (Conservative)
· Cllr Jane Hunt (Conservative
· Cllr Pauline Ranson (Conservative)
· Cllr Jewel Miah (Labour)
2. that East Midlands Councils HR service be appointed to support the Panel and provide assistance during the recruitment and selection process.
1. To comply with the requirements of the Constitution relating to the appointment of a Head of Paid Service following the current postholder’s notification that he will be retiring.
2. To ensure that the Panel has suitable HR support and advice.